Monday, October 29, 2007

RSS Feeds

I was very excited learning about how to set up a page with all of the websites I usually visit on a daily basis. With time always being a sparse luxury, it truly does save a lot of time! I also showed my husband how to set up a bloglines with RSS feeds and now it shortens his time on the time sitting at the computer and provides extra time to free me up with chores--LOL!
I think that RSS feeds can be use to publish any announcement from the library web site on activities, exhibitions, promotions and new library resources, especially databases. Also, it could be used to generate various kinds of book lists.
And Oh---I found it very hard to find out exactly what the initials "RSS" mean but I finally found it- it means Rich Site Summary-which now makes a lot of sense!
Another tid- bit of info I found in this article was that Google now gets more searches in 3 days than all libraries combined globally get in 1 year.

1 comment:

maura said...

rss is a great way to generate book lists! think about how easy it would be to promote new books, new dvds, new events! new new new! easy easy easy! rss rss rss!

maybe that can be our rally at the next book meeting.